We are all living the constant dance between Chaos and Order. We are increasingly working with more uncertainty and more demands to design solutions in this uncertainty, both in our personal and professional lives.
Very few of us have been trained in how to offer enough structure and clarity for new and better solutions to emerge as we collaborate around the questions that really matter.
We are finding that
- Everybody working in organizational life now is a designer. Chaordic design is both a design tool and a project management tool for iterative processes.
- We need designs that change. As we interact, and enact our work, we change the context of our work, and we need a tool that encourages us to adapt as we do. Evolving Design.
- We need design tools that are collaborative and help us work with others – responsive, agile, participatory.
What will we cover?
This course will be like no other we have offered so far, building on existing work in the field and bringing to bear all that Chris has been learning, including:
- Chaordic design is both a design tool and a project management tool for iterative processes.
- The importance of evolving design. As we interact and enact our work, the context of our work changes. Our tools need to encourage and support constant adaptation to shifts in context & need.
- Our design tools need to be collaborative; they need to help us work with others – responsive, agile, and participatory.
1 – The Nature of Chaordic Design and Complexity
What does it mean to work with complexity? Origins of chaordic and complexity frameworks (Dee Hock, Cynefin) Chaordic field is in the liminality between complexity and complication.
2 – Inviting Us into Our Work
In this first stage we explore the questions: “How do we invite people into participatory spaces? How do we make the best use of multiple and diverse perspectives? How do we sense where we are now and make decisions about where to go together?” The first four stepping stones are: Need, Purpose, Principles, and People.
3- Designing the Architecture of Implementation
Good strategy produces sustainable outputs that support wise action. How can we work with each other in a participatory way to produce effective results and support action over time? Here we look at Probes, Prototypes and Scaling from prototypes. The Stepping stones are: Outputs and Architecture of Implementation
4 – Structuring Our Work
How do we structure our work in a way that allows it to evolve, as we learn more about what we are doing? We begin by designing a concept, addressing our limiting beliefs about it, and then resourcing it with time, attention and money. Here the stepping stones are: Concept, Limiting Beliefs, and Structure.
This course will be a practical, hands-on application of the tools and principles of Chaordic Design – Bring your projects and let’s get to work!
Four Mondays in February 2-hour sessions. 10am – 12pm Pacific Time. To check your local time you can use this Time Zone Converter
- February 5th, 2018
- February 12th, 2018
- February 19th, 2018
- February 26th, 2018
This is an online event, where we are offering realtime calls, where we engage, learn and get to work on our projects.
Amy Lenzo & Rowan Simonsen Beehive Productions